Important Steps to Take after a Car Accident - Long Island Lawyer
Advice to New York City and Long Island motorists
Attorneys at our Garden City firm, the Law Offices of Louis D. Stober, Jr., L.L.C., have over twenty years of experience helping clients with claims for serious injuries caused by car accidents. We have compiled some simple, practical advice to follow if you are in a motor vehicle accident.
At the scene of the car accident:
- Immediately after the crash check to see if anyone in either vehicle requires medical assistance. Perform first aid or call an ambulance.
- If the vehicles are blocking the roadway or highway, and can be moved, they should be moved to a safe position. If not, someone should warn approaching traffic and keep people from wandering in the paths of oncoming cars.
- Call 911 for the police or highway patrol immediately.
- Get contact information for any witnesses.
- Exchange insurance information and drivers' license numbers with other drivers involved in the car accident.
- If there is a camera or cell phone camera available, begin taking pictures of all sides of the vehicles, of the scene of the accident, and of injuries.
After the accident:
- If you or any member of your family has been injured, get medical care. Even a mild closed head injury may result in traumatic brain injury (TBI). Follow all of your medical provider's instructions.
- Notify your auto insurance provider of the accident, but do not make a statement to an insurance company representative or sign a settlement form before talking to an attorney.
- Get a copy of the police report.
- Continue to take pictures of your injuries throughout the course of healing.
- Have your car accident claim reviewed by a personal injury lawyer familiar with New York State law and see that you are being treated fairly by your insurance company.
Complimentary case evaluations and consultations
It costs nothing to get a legal opinion of your insurance company's settlement offer, and suggestions on additional sources of compensation for injuries suffered in a motor vehicle collision. If you would like to speak one of our lawyers about your car accident, please call 877-881-7185 or e-mail our Garden City, New York, office to arrange a free consultation.
Law Offices of Louis D. Stober, Jr., L.L.C.
Nassau County Personal Injury Attorneys