Important Steps To Take After A Car Accident
Attorneys at our Mineola firm, the Law Offices of Louis D. Stober, Jr., L.L.C., have more than 35 years of experience helping clients with claims for serious injuries caused by car accidents. We have compiled some simple, practical advice to follow if you are in a motor vehicle accident.
At The Scene Of The Car Accident
The steps you should take include:
- Immediately after the crash check to see if anyone in either vehicle requires medical assistance. Perform first aid or call an ambulance.
- If the vehicles are blocking the roadway or highway, and can be moved, they should be moved to a safe position. If not, someone should warn approaching traffic and keep people from wandering in the paths of oncoming cars.
- Call 911 for the police or highway patrol immediately.
- Get contact information for any witnesses.
- Exchange insurance information and driver’s license numbers with other drivers involved in the car crash.
- If there is a camera or cellphone camera available, begin taking pictures of all sides of the vehicles, of the scene of the accident and of injuries.
After The Accident:
In the period after the accident, do take care of the following:
- If you or any member of your family has been injured, get medical care. Even a mild closed head injury may result in traumatic brain injury (TBI). Follow all of your medical provider’s instructions.
- Notify your auto insurance provider of the accident, but do not make a statement to an insurance company representative or sign a settlement form before talking to an attorney.
- Get a copy of the police report.
- Continue to take pictures of your injuries throughout the course of healing.
- Have your car accident claim reviewed by a personal injury lawyer familiar with New York State law and see that you are being treated fairly by your insurance company.
Complimentary Case Evaluations And Consultations
It costs nothing to get a legal opinion of your insurance company’s settlement offer, and suggestions on additional sources of compensation for injuries suffered in a motor vehicle collision. If you would like to speak with one of our lawyers about your car accident, please call 877-791-8076 or email our Mineola, New York, office to arrange a free consultation.